WEAR MASK PROPERLY AND PROTECT YOURSELF EFFECTIVELY FROM VIRUS
During this pandemic, everyone is encouraged to stay at home to flatten the curve of transmission. In Indonesia, the stay at home hashtag #dirumahaja is campaigned regularly. But there may be occasions when people will need to go outside of the house. To protect themselves from contracting the virus, the use of face mask has become mandatory.
However, there are still many instances where masks are not appropriately worn. Masks that do not provide proper cover of the nose and mouth, however positioned, will only expose you to virus and bacteria that can enter the human body when inhaled. Follow the tips below to know how to properly protect yourself.
1. Always wash your hands with soap and water before wearing a mask. Wash them properly – scrub not just the palms but also between the fingers and back of your hands.
2. If you’re wearing a disposable mask, notice that its front and back colors are different. The white color indicates the area that will be in direct contact with your nose and mouth. The outer area is green, and the texture is rougher. Also, make sure the mask is worn in the right direction with the wired part covering your nose and the non-wired part covering the chin area.
READ ALSO: IS DISINFECTING VEHICLES NECESSARY?
3. Extend the wired part so that it completely covers your nose. Press the wire gently to adjust it with your nose’s shape. Make sure there is no gap in this area to prevent microparticles from entering your nose or mouth. Next, extend the non-wired part and position it below your chin. This way, most of your face should be covered.
4. Keep the mask in place. Avoid removing and wearing it back frequently. If the mask needs changing, untie the loop. Remove it carefully to make sure its front area does not touch your nose and mouth. Wash your hands before you wear a new one.
5. As the name suggests, a disposable mask should be put inside a plastic bag and immediately thrown to the bin once you finish wearing it. The use of plastic bag is necessary to prevent the spread of bacteria, germs, or virus that may have been in contact with the mask.
The tips above are also applicable to cloth mask as an alternative to prevent you from being exposed to viruses.